KitchenAid Mixer Overheating
Owning a top-notch kitchen appliance like a KitchenAid stand mixer simplifies many cooking processes.
Therefore, the appliance is quite pricey and is expected to work flawlessly for a long time. But, like any appliance, you have to take proper care to keep the mixer in working order.
Can a KitchenAid mixer overheat? Yes, even the most expensive KitchenAid mixer can overheat. Overheating usually occurs when users let the mixer run for too long. The maximum mixing time is only 10 minutes, and any time beyond that can cause the engine to overheat.
It can be a bummer that even expensive appliances can overheat, but the fault is with the user in most cases. Read this article to learn more about what causes KitchenAid mixers to overheat.
Reasons Why KitchenAid Mixers Overheat
KitchenAid mixers can perform the hardest of jobs but will take a beating. Any activities may trigger the mixer to run on overdrive for a long time, such as mixing pizza dough.
In exchange, this will cause the mixer to emit quite a lot of heat, harming the turbine. Thankfully, KitchenAid mixers have a high-temperature fuse.
This stops the mixer motor from destroying the unit by turning off the appliance once it exceeds critical temperatures. But if this happens, the user would not be able to power it on immediately.
According to KitchenAid’s website, this is not the only thing that can happen. The steam will condense the circuit board and impede the board’s contact while the user is mixing something steamy.
When this happens, it forces the mixer to shut off.
If you are lucky, a repair is unnecessary. But if the engine overheated for quite some time, bring it to KitchenAid and have them take a look at it. This is why it is crucial not to break the warranty seal until its expiry date.
Prevent a KitchenAid Mixer From Overheating
Always be cautious with your KitchenAid mixer. Never run it longer than the recommended time, and do not leave it unattended. But, I understand that the longer you use the unit, the less you pay attention to its magic. And that is fine.
Leaving your mixture unattended is okay if you do not forget it! If you forget, you will soon hear strange noises from your kitchen.
And as soon as you hear it, you will remember that you have left something running.
Leaving the mixer running will cause overheating because it will struggle with the dough. The engine may shut off, and you cannot turn it back on again.
But that does not mean it is broken, and your money is thrown into the garbage. The mixer shuts off to stop the motor from suffering damage; you can turn it on again after a few hours.
When Mixing Heavy Ingredients
It is not recommended to run the mixer for longer than 10 minutes, or you may risk overheating. Before you resume mixing, let the mixer rest. The mixer can run for up to 20 minutes when mixing lighter ingredients.
Do not allow your mixer to run longer than advised. The mixer will have difficulty continuing and will eventually overheat or, worse, break.
To avoid overheating the mixer, start your session at the lowest setting. The mixer will effortlessly work through the dough as the dough gets easier to work with.
The speed can then be increased gradually. When mixing heavy dough, never go above 2 in velocity.
As it mixes your ingredients, you should be close to the mixer. Check if the appliance is properly working when you set it up and start mixing.
Common Mistakes With KitchenAid Mixers
KitchenAid stand mixers are the most iconic mixers. They not only add an upbeat splash of color to the kitchen but are also actual bakers’ workhorses.
These appliances are skilled at mixing everything from cookie dough to fluffy buttercream frosting.
But, like all appliances, now and again, KitchenAid mixers can experience some minor malfunctions and other issues. To find out what’s wrong with it, you can disassemble your stand mixer.
But it is best if you choose not to disassemble it. Remember: Making any changes to the stand mixer will make your warranty useless.
1. The Mixer Shuts Off
Give your mixer at least three minutes to cool down before turning it back on if steam is to blame. But, if the appliance has overheated for any other reason, let it rest for 30 minutes before trying to restart.
2. Mixers Are Misaligned
KitchenAid recommends a test with a dime! A dime is ideal because it is 1/16 inch thick and offers an excellent visual aid. Use only a dime, not any other coins.
It will help you adjust the clearance of the beater-to-bowl. However, only stainless steel bowls, not ceramic or glass ones, work with the dime test.
3. Oil Leakage
Now and then, switch on the mixer without any food items in the bowl. Let it run at this speed for two minutes before using it. You can turn it to speed ten if it has been a long time since you last used it. Also, before you use the mixer, wipe away any excess oil.
4. Mixing Bowl Rust
Make sure it does not contain halogen salts, chlorine, or antibacterial agents with the drug Triclosan. To do this, start by checking your dish soap.
When washing, you may also want to avoid steel wool, as it will cause your bowl to rust more quickly.
KitchenAid advises taking these measures if you already have rust build-up:
- Add baking soda with vinegar until it forms a paste.
- If you have stubborn rusting, spread the paste over the surface and allow it to sit for 10 minutes or up to a few hours.
- Scrub the paste in a circular motion with a scratch-free scrubbing pad.
- With warm water, clean the bowl properly. Wash and dry by hand.
The KitchenAid mixer is durable, but it can overheat and even stop working with negligence. Follow the recommended speed and mixing time in the Owner’s Manual to avoid any engine failures.
Not only will this avoid damage, but it will also ensure that the mixer runs at its optimal capacity.